Site friends

Welcome, Gaijin · RSS 2024-10-16, 4:38 AM

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
One day in history...
RianoDate: Thursday, 2010-04-01, 8:55 AM | Message # 1
Less of a Noob
Group: Administrators
OOC: In this story, my character Riano is known as a man called Hiko. He does not change his name to Riano, as he is in this RPG, until the end of the story. These events are pivotal in what made Riano the man he became, only to later be taken down by an ancient virus that drained him away. Reflecting on these thoughts are what he does most of the time, if you ever catch him gazing into the sky.

"The sky is clear today."

Said Riano, as he calmly observed the sun sinking over the distant horizon.

Sipping sake by the lake shore and gazing at the sunset in the cool evenings had become his favorite pastime in the summer.

He contemplated the scenery unfolding before his eyes as the last rays of the closing sunset dyed the landscape in a reddish-amber hue. As they receded, he looked up at the darkening sky to see millions of stars twinkling down at him. Without any clouds to obstruct them, all the celestial constellations were visible in their full splendor.

For Riano, this moment felt oddly nostalgic. He could remember a similar evening, many years ago, when he savored his first taste of sake under the starlight.

He had been a different person then; a proud, haughty and arrogant young man in the springtime of his youth. Though if his few friends were to be believed he still retained many of the same qualities...

He spotted the crescent moon glowing among the stars. "Times change. People change. The only thing that doesn't change is the moon." he mused, taking in its familiar radiance.

Twenty years... has it really been so long... Shishou?

Twenty Years Ago....

The red sun descended over the horizon, bathing the landscape in its dimming light. As the long summer day drew to a close, all seemed calm, save for a lone mountaintop where two robed figures clashed.

One was a man of normal height, dressed in robes vaguely reminiscent of a priest's garb. The other was a muscled giant, clad in a plain gi and hakama. The battle-cries of the two combatants and the clashing of their swords drowned out the noises of the chirping birds and insects all around them. Their blades took on a crimson glow in the light of the setting sun.

"RYU TSUI SEN!"

The robed man leaped high into the air and flipped over, positioning his sword above his opponent's head for a downward strike.

"RYU SHOU SEN!"

The giant leaped upwards to face his opponent's attack, raising his sword horizontally, edge-up, with his free hand supporting the blade near its tip.

The smaller man smiled briefly as he descended. He had noticed a flaw in his opponent's grip. Instead of clashing swords head on and meeting strength with strength, he swung his katana downwards in a wide arc, knocking the large man's weapon out of his hands.

Taking advantage of the giant's surprise, he landed both feet on his chest and placed a hand over his shoulder for balance. As they both descended, he raised his sword for a second strike. But before he could attack the large man lashed out in a forceful uppercut to his assailant's side. The robed man leaped off his opponent, rolling with the punch, and both men landed gracefully on their feet.

For a few moments, the two swordsmen sized each other up, panting with exhaustion.

"You seem tired, Shishou." The larger man said finally, his long brown hair drenched with sweat. "Maybe we should call it a day?"

"Don't get cocky with me, young man." The other one warned, not in the least intimidated by the fact that his opponent was nearly twice his size. "You're the one who'll be asking for a reprieve soon." He adjusted his glasses and gazed at his opponent analytically, as if seeking out an opening for his next attack. Seeing his hesitation, the large man went on the offensive.

"RYU SOU SEN!"

He lunged at his master with a series of successive swings aimed all over his body.

In a spilt second, the latter switched to a defensive stance, betraying no signs of surprise. He avoided the first two blows, pulled his sheathed wakizashi from his belt to parry the third, then leapt forward and struck the young man squarely in the collar bone with the hilt of his katana.

"RYU SOU SEN - GARAMI!" Just as he struck, he felt the flat of his victim's nodachi descending upon his shoulder with an audible thump. Both fighters fell to the ground.

"A tie. Not bad, Hiko." The middle-aged man said, smiling through clenched teeth as he rubbed his shoulder.

"Yeah, I'm incredible, aren't I?" Hiko grinned weakly. "But I was holding back. Otherwise I'd have beaten you, Shishou!"

Riano XII rose first, shaking his head fondly at his boastful pupil. "You are indeed incredible...incredibly vain that is." Then he stared up at the sky. "It appears that there will be a clear sky tonight."

Hiko followed his master's gaze. Surely enough, he couldn't see a single cloud in the summer sky. Though the sun was still visible behind the distant hills, the sky had darkened enough for the glimmer of stars to become visible.

"It is time for a respite. Come." Hiko followed his master to the stone bench in the courtyard of the abandoned Shinto shrine that they called home.

Riano retrieved his white cape from the bench and pulled out a leather jug and two large cups from its folds. When they were seated, he filled a cup and handed it to Hiko.

Hiko stared at the contents. "Shishou, this is..."

"Sake." His master finished. "And no ordinary sake either. It is a special vintage that is available only once in five years."

"But Shishou, I thought you disapproved of such... er, vices?" With some consternation he remembered the number of times his master had beaten him up for trying to sneak some into the shrine.

Riano burst out laughing, something Hiko found disconcerting given his normally stoic nature. He removed his sweaty glasses and wiped them against his robe, shaking his head. "Hiko, what gave you that idea? I may read scriptures and recite prayers, but I am by no means a monk.

Sake consumed in moderation will do you no harm. Drink up."

Hiko looked down at his cup and slowly took a sip. "It tastes nice."

Riano took a sip from his own cup. "Spring brings cherry blossoms to comfort you; the summer, stars; the harvest moon in fall, and the powdered snow in winter. All of these things, and the promise of them, is what makes sake taste delicious." he mused.

He turned to Hiko. "Of course, I'm not sitting here having this drink with you solely to introduce you to the virtues of sake. Today is an important day for both of us."

Hiko gave his master a questioning glance. What was so important about this day? They had just sparred as usual.

Riano stroked his beard thoughtfully. When he spoke, it seemed as though he was measuring every word. "Hiko, you are seventeen years old now. By Human reckoning, you have become a man, though by our standards you already achieved manhood two years ago. Nevertheless I had originally planned on waiting another year before making this decision..."

Hiko tensed. Could his master be saying what he thought he was?

Riano appeared to have read his thoughts. "Yes. Today, or rather tonight, I am going to pass the succession technique of Hiten Mitsurugi-Ryū to you." He paused to let the surprise register on his pupil's face, then continued. "And should you master it, you truly will have become the greatest swordsman in Japan, instead of merely boasting about it."

Hiko felt a mixture of apprehension and excitement. "Tonight? Meaning... now?"

"Yes. Now." Riano stood up and walked back to the grassy compound where they had trained earlier. Hiko followed, still caught in surprise.

"First, a brief review of kenjutsu." Riano began. "You know about the nine vital points of the human body. In all the schools of kenjutsu there is no killing technique that does not aim for one of those points. Naturally the defensive stances were developed to correspond to these same nine points." Slowly, he drew his katana. "In the Hiten Mitsurugi school there is even a technique named the Ryu Sou Sen that targets all nine points randomly."

Hiko knew the technique well. It was his favorite.

"But as you know from experience, the Ryu Sou Sen is only effective against opponents who are slow to react. This is because it does not target all the points simultaneously. So with sufficient skill or speed, it can be parried." Riano raised his sword in the middle stance.

"Stand still." he instructed Hiko. "Even the slightest movement could cost you your life."

The next moment, he vanished from Hiko's sight and he felt his body being touched several times in very rapid succession.

Riano halted behind him, and Hiko looked down to see nine small cuts at various points on his body.

"If you move with the Hiten Mitsurugi Godspeed and strike all nine points simultaneously there is no possibility of defense." his master explained. "This is the Kuzu Ryu Sen."

Hiko's mouth hung open in awe, then quickly closed when he realized how stupid it made him look. Now he felt a rising sense of annoyance at his vulnerability. Even with his incredible speed and strength, he could have done nothing to stop that attack. This was the Hiten Mitsurugi succession technique?

"Now it's your turn." Riano smiled. "I showed you how it is done. Now try it yourself. Let's test your Kuzu Ryu Sen against mine."

Hiko tried to recall his memory of his master's attack. He had always been skilled at analyzing things, and soon he had all the movements mapped out in his head.

"KUZU RYU SEN!"

The two cries rang out in unison as master and student charged at each other faster than the untrained eye could see. As the two forces met, there was a flurry of clashing blades.

It ended with Hiko knocked down to his knees. His master stood before him, panting. Hunched over, his head was barely higher than that of his tall pupil.

"It wasn't executed perfectly." he explained, seeing the surprise on his pupil's face. "You weren't concentrating hard enough. Consequently, the nine strikes were not performed instantaneously. That's why my strikes were able to parry yours and get through to you." Noting the disappointment in Hiko's eyes, he added, "But it's all right. I didn't expect you to get it right on the first try. Do not waste time thinking about getting all the strikes right. Just do it. Any time gap between two successive strikes greater than a tenth of a second will result in failure."

Once again, they prepared themselves. This time Hiko's eyes were narrowed in concentration. I've waited six years for this. I will master the technique now. Don't think...do.

"KUZU RYU SEN!"

This time Riano was knocked off his feet. He landed several feet away with a loud crash.

"Shishou!" Hiko cried out, his momentary exhilaration turned to fear. He had not considered that the duel would have such an outcome, considering that they had both used the same technique. He should have suppressed his strength.

Gingerly, Riano picked himself up. Though the pain was evident on his face, he gave his pupil his usual gentle smile. "I'm all right. Just bruised." He sheathed his sword and picked up his glasses, which had been knocked off during the exchange.

But Hiko's shock at his victory still remained. "But how-"

"Even with the same Hiten Mitsurugi-Ryū and the same technique, if the fighters differ the force will be different too. In random attack techniques, it's your upper body strength that counts, and in charging techniques it's your weight." Riano explained. "In both respects, you are overwhelmingly my superior. So my Kuzu Ryu Sen cannot beat yours head on. Well done, Hiko. You've surpassed me."

Hiko's concern turned to relief, soon replaced by joy and pride. He had mastered the succession technique. His training was complete. Now I'm a master too. He drew himself up, posing for no one in particular. He imagined wearing a long cape and strutting through town, addressed with respect by everyone. Master Hiko. I like the sound of that.

Riano observed his pupil's pretentious actions with a bemused grin. "Not so fast." he said. "You can't call yourself 'Master anything' yet. There's still one more technique left."

Hiko frowned, annoyed at the interruption. What more could there possibly be?

"The greatest secret of the Hiten Mitsurugi-Ryū," his master continued in a low voice. "The succession technique, the Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki."

As these words registered, Hiko felt his face reddening in embarrassment. "You mean the Kuzu Ryu Sen isn't the succession technique?"

Then all that pride and jubilation and magnificent posing was for nothing?

Riano's eyes twinkled. "Is that what you thought? I never said anything of the sort."

It was infuriating how a boy...well, man of Hiko's stature, talent and charisma was continually humbled by this comparatively plain and diminutive old man.

Riano went on. "The Kuzu Ryu Sen wasn't originally created for real combat or training. It was conceived as a step in passing down the succession techniques, as a test. To learn the succession technique, first you begin with the Kuzu Ryu Sen. If you can beat the Kuzu Ryu Sen of the previous master using the succession technique, your mastery in the secrets of the school is complete."

Hiko was puzzled. "What can possibly surpass a technique that attacks all nine vital points simultaneously?" Apart from another Kuzu Ryu Sen...

Riano only smiled in reply. "You've learned from me well enough to find the answer yourself."

Hiko carefully analyzed the possibilities. The Kuzu Ryu Sen offers no chance for defense or escape. So the only way is to strike down the user before he has a chance to perform it.

So the answer was...."Battojutsu." he thought aloud, pleased with his genius.

"That is correct." said Riano plainly. "Only a lightning fast battojutsu could strike quickly enough to defeat the Kuzu Ryu Sen before it even began. However," he added, "the Kuzu Ryu Sen is a Godspeed technique. In order to counter it, the battojutsu must also be performed at Godspeed. That is the true nature of the Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki."

Hiko's face resumed its confused expression. "But Shishou, battojutsu can't be used with Godspeed. We both know that." he said matter-of-factly. The Hiten Mitsurugi Godspeed is based on the principle of instinctively reading your opponent's energy and body language and moving on your feet to counter them before they act. But as battojutsu is performed from a stationary position, this cannot be done except by altering the speed and direction of the blade.

Riano shook his head. "What we know, Hiko, is subjective and changes with time. I've told you enough. The answer lies in your mind. When your mind is ready, your body will be as well. The Hiten Mitsurugi succession technique is not something that is taught but something that the student must realize for himself in a test against his master."

He drew his sword. "Shall we begin?"

Then suddenly, the katana fell from his grip. With an exclamation, he clutched his wrist and hunched over in pain.

"Shishou!" All thoughts of mastering the Hiten Mitsurugi-Ryū vanished from Hiko's mind. "Are you all right?" Perhaps his Kuzu Ryu Sen had hurt his master worse than it had seemed. He felt a pang of guilt. I should have held back...

"Don't blame yourself." said Riano, wincing painfully. "It's just that the strain of using the Kuzu Ryu Sen three times in a row, on top of everything else we did today, has cramped my muscles somewhat." He looked at Hiko apologetically. "I'm afraid we'll have to put off the succession technique till tomorrow morning." Slowly, he bent down to pick up his sword and limped back to the stone bench where his cape lay folded.

The succession technique was far from the surface of Hiko's mind. He was not convinced by Riano's explanation. He had not seen his master in such a bad state for a long time. Although he had seemed weaker and more prone to tiredness in recent months...

"Shishou," He began apprehensively. "You're not well, are you?"

Riano turned to face him as he re-adjusted his cape around his shoulders. "I suppose there is no point in hiding it from you any more." He smiled ruefully. "The reason I decided not to wait another year before teaching you the succession techniques is because I wasn't sure I would still be able to perform them by then."

Hiko's eyes widened. "Why not?" What could be wrong with his master's health?

"The Hiten Mitsurugi-Ryū," Riano began wearily, "is by its very nature a metaphysical sword art. It causes tremendous strain on the bodies of those who wield it. As such it is ideally suited to those who possess a perfect physical constitution," he gestured towards Hiko. "a wide, muscular frame. Like yours."

He sighed wistfully. "Unfortunately, I was not so well endowed. My physique was a little above average at best. That did not stop me from learning and applying the techniques. However, a lifetime of practicing the Hiten Mitsurugi gradually took its toll on my health. Add to that the many injuries I have accumulated over the years," he unconsciously rubbed his left shoulder, where Hiko knew lay a massive scar. "some of which never fully healed, and it was only natural that my body would eventually reach its breaking point. Muscles atrophying, joints
weakening..."

Hiko gaped at his master, shocked by the confession.

Hiko had always been unnaturally large for his age. As such it was no surprise that within a few years into his apprenticeship he had dwarfed his master in both size and strength. That made it all the more embarrassing how easily the comparatively diminutive master of Hiten Mitsurugi-Ryū could trounce him in a fight. For the arrogant, brash and (according to his master) narcissistic Hiko, training under Riano XII was a humbling experience.

But in the past year, things had changed. More and more of their sparring matches ended in draws or even in victories for Hiko. It seemed to him that his master was struggling harder to win as time passed. He had earlier vainly attributed that to his own growing physique and skill. Now he knew that wasn't all.

"Shishou, couldn't something be-"

"No." Riano cut him off. "Although I do not have any regrets about it, it is too late to do anything. I am 43 years old now. In another three years, maybe four, I will no longer be able to use the Hiten Mitsurugi-Ryū. I must fulfill my duty to you as your master before that happens."
Riano stared at him in shock and concern. "Shishou-"

"In any case," Riano continued, "I know now that you are ready for the technique. I was only worried about your mental preparedness. As a swordsman, you trail behind me only in skill and experience, and those will come with time. Physically you have already surpassed me in every way imaginable-"

"But I haven't." Hiko interrupted. He loved being praised, but as humble as Riano was, hearing his master belittle himself thus was painful. "You still tie or beat me all the time-"

"Only because of those 16 kan training weights you always wear underneath your clothes." Riano reminded him. "I, on the other hand, have to take off my cape in order to fight you. How embarrassing..." He shook his head. "This weighted cape was worn by all those who bore the name of Riano in order to control the power of Hiten Mitsurugi in times of peace. It was taken off only during wartime. And here I am shedding it for routine sparring..."

He stood up and started walking back towards the main shrine building. "Night has fallen. I will prepare supper."

He paused briefly and turned back to see Hiko still standing there, lost in doubt. "Use the night to search your mind and see if you are ready. Know this: the course of your life shall be determined by tomorrow's test. If you fail, it will be forfeit." With this final warning he continued towards the building, showing no trace of his earlier limp.

Hiko turned his attention to the stone bench and saw that his master had left the sake jug behind. He made his way to it and poured himself a cup. It tasted sweet. He sat down, cup in hand.

For a long time, Hiko sat beneath the stars, taking an occasional sip of sake, lost in thought. He didn't bother going back for supper. Food was the farthest thing from his mind, and in his present state he wouldn't be able to work up an appetite even if he tried. For now, the sake was enough.

Was he ready? For six years, Hiko had eagerly awaited a day like this, a day when his training would come to fruition. But now that it had arrived, he felt less sure. He gazed upwards, as if seeking his answers from the starry sky. He idly picked out the various constellations.

OoGuma, KoGuma, Sasori, Katakana...

He sighed. This was getting him nowhere. Search my mind... well, Shishou always says that when searching for something, it's best to start at the beginning...

As the night wore on and the moon rose higher, Hiko's mind drifted to the past, back to the day he began his life as a swordsman. Come to think of it, it was a clear sky that night as well...

Added (04.01.2010, 5:55 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Six Years Prior...

It was a clear night. Countless stars glittered dimly in the dark sky. The crescent moon hovered forebodingly over the earth, like a reaper's sickle. It was a harbinger of times to come.

Underneath, all was quiet in the forest, save for the very center, where a cluster of small fires lay amidst the darkness. Many small noises could be heard around them.

At the southernmost corner of the camp, a young boy sat against a tree, moaning slightly as he cradled his right arm. It hung limply in a sling, wrapped in bandages.

"Listen to you. You sound like a mule with all that moaning and groaning." He looked up to see another boy approach him from the direction of the campfires. This boy was slightly taller and broader, and was carried two large wooden bowls in his hands. A bow and quiver were slung over his back. "Here's dinner. I get the feeling all that whining was just an excuse to get a special dish, eh, Kojiro?." He handed him a bowl of plain rice and miso. "Too bad. It's just the usual."

"Shut up. It's no thanks to you." Kojiro shot back, receiving it in his left hand. "You're part of the reason I hurt it, remember?" Immediately, he regretted his harsh comment.

His companion's face fell. "I know. I'm sorry. I know it's my fault."

Kojiro reproached himself for his tactlessness. "Sorry, Hiko. I shouldn't have blamed you. It's just that this damn arm hurts so much I can't even sleep properly. Puts me in a bad mood." Seeing his friend brighten up slightly, he tried to lighten the mood. "If only I had a body like yours. You're two years younger than me and you're already bigger than I am. What's your secret, Hiko?"

At this Hiko drew himself up and beamed proudly. "There's no secret. A few of us have it and most of us don't. I just happen to be one of the elite among men."

Kojiro snorted at his vanity. "The elite, huh? What does that make me?" And you're not a man.

"My underling. Just follow after me and I'll treat you nicely."

Their conversation was interrupted by a man's voice calling out behind them. "Takagi-san." Hiko addressed him as he came closer, a little disrespectfully.

"Our tag-along kids look like they're having a good time." he observed cheerily. "How's it healing, Kojiro?"

Kojiro tried to move his arm out of its sling and winced. "Fine, I think. But it'll be a while before I can fight again. Sorry for being so careless, sempai."

"Don't be." He shook his head sadly. "You kids shouldn't even have to be part of this."

"It's our choice, Takagi-san." Hiko replied sternly. "Speaking of which, have Akira-sempai and Kaneda-sempai come back yet?"

"No, the scouts aren't back yet." Takagi replied nonchalantly. "But there's nothing to worry about. There's no way the IKA (Imperial Konat Army) will find our camp here in the middle of the forest."

"No, not unless someone told them where to find us." Kojiro said in agreement. At these words, Takagi tensed a little. Hiko though he could feel unease coming from his posture.

Suddenly, they heard a commotion from the other end of the campsite. Looking at the source of the noise, they could see torches glowing in the distance.

"Why are they lighting so many torches at this time of the night?" Hiko wondered aloud. "That could give away our position to the guard!"

Takagi had an odd expression on his face. "Kids," he instructed them, "Don't move."

Both boys looked at him in confusion. "What's wrong, sempai?" asked Kojiro.

Takagi's eyes narrowed. "I think the Imperialists are here."

The boys gasped. Then they heard angry noises, and the next moment several tents burst into flames. The campsite was in total pandemonium. Hiko could see people running blindly and could hear the clashing of blades and anguished yells everywhere.

Swiftly, Hiko picked up his bow and quiver and Kojiro made a motion towards his axe. But Takagi stopped them. "Don't. Just stay here with me. I'll protect you."

Hiko stared at him in shock. "But we can't just stand here and let everyone get slaughtered in their sleep!"

"If you enter the fray, you'll be killed before you even know it." Takagi snapped back. "And Kojiro's in no condition to fight." He peered at the nearing flames. "It's a good thing we're at the southern end of the camp."

Hiko could only stare in disbelief. How could Takagi behave so coldly towards his comrades? Unless...

"Takagi-san," Hiko began suspiciously, "You act like you knew all this was going to happen. Is there something you've been keeping from us?"

Takagi gazed at him uncomfortably. "You were always a pretty bright kid, Hiko."

Hiko opened his mouth angrily, but was interrupted by a cruel voice.

"Well, well. If isn't our little mole. In the flesh." They looked up to see several warriors in full body armor approaching them. The owner of the voice stood in the forefront. He appeared to be their leader. He wore a long silken jacket over his uniform. His face held a malevolent grin.

"Mikado-sama," Takagi addressed him, bowing as he approached. "I fulfilled my end of the deal. So please..."

Kojiro glanced between them with disbelief. Hiko scowled. "So that's how it is. You're the one who told them where our camp was. You betrayed us, Takagi!" he spat venomously.

Takagi winced at the accusation. He gave the boys a pleading look. "I had no choice, boys. They would have hunted us down eventually. We had no hope of overthrowing the IKA. And I still have a family to look after. You understand, don't you, Kojiro?" He extended a hand towards the wounded boy, who refused to meet his eyes. Hiko quickly set an arrow into his bow and aimed it at him. "Don't you dare touch him, traitor!" he warned. Some of the guards tensed.

Takagi stepped back. "I made a deal with them that would allow me to start over again." he continued. "And I pleaded with them to spare your lives as well. I promised you that I would protect you, didn't I?"

"Who cares?" Hiko replied savagely. His hand continued holding the bow taut.

"As touching as this conversation may be," the leader sneered, "I do not like being ignored. You are not showing me the proper courtesy, peasant."

Immediately, Takagi turned to him in surprise and fear. He fell to his knees and bowed before the leader. "I beg your pardon, my lord." He gazed up desperately. "Please forgive the rudeness of this ignorant peasant and these two young boys. We will surrender peacefully-"

"Will not!" Hiko roared.

"-Please grant us amnesty as was promi-- Ungh!" Takagi cried out mid-sentence as a katana plunged into his chest.

"Takeda-sempai!" Kojiro yelled. Hiko looked on in shock.

"You waste my time." The powerful leader drawled, as he watched Takeda gurgle on the ground. "Disrespecting an Imperial guard by ignoring him and wasting his time; both are crimes punishable by death."

Takeda's stared at him, wide-eyed in shock. "Th-the promise-"

"What makes you think a Royal would feel any obligation to fulfill a promise made to a filthy, low-born peasant?" he replied mockingly. "For opposing our lord you shall meet the same fate as the rest of this ragtag band of rebels. We need to set an example for the villagers after all."

"The children," The dying man gasped. He clutched the leader's feet. "At least spare the chil-" He was cut off mid-sentence as the guard stabbed him in the neck. "We shall see."

He leered at the boys. "So what do you say we do about these whelps?" he asked one of his subordinates. "They could entertain the men with their squealing."

Hiko placed himself in front of Kojiro protectively. He realized the implication: the guard wanted to torture them to death for his own enjoyment.

The other guards shrugged. "I don't know, sir. They don't look like they'd provide much sport. But we could sell them at the next slave market." he suggested.

"That's a good idea." Another agreed. "The big one looks like he could do some heavy labor when he grows up. He'll fetch a good price."

"But the other one is wounded. Doesn't look like he'd fetch much money. Keeping him alive would be a waste." Said a third guard.

"You're right. I'll finish him off." The first Imperial guard drew his sword and approached Kojiro menacingly. Suddenly, he was pierced through the eye by an arrow. He was dead before he hit the ground.

"Ishida!" The leader yelled in outrage. He shifted his gaze to Hiko, who was pulling another arrow from his quiver. "To hell with the slave market." he said savagely, "Kenta, kill them both."

The second guard drew his sword and rushed at Hiko, swinging at him before he could loose his arrow. Hiko cursed and blocked the attack with his bow, only to have it chopped in half. He retreated desperately, trying to avoid the man's swings. His bow was useless now, and his dagger lay within its holster inside his burning tent. He had always been agile despite his size, but that would not save him now. He unwittingly backed into a tree. Trapped.

"This is the end for you, pesky brat." The guard taunted, raising his sword to cut him down.

"GAH!"

But before he could strike, an axe buried itself in his back. Hiko watched him fall wordlessly to the ground. Behind him stood Kojiro, holding his axe in his left hand.

"Kojiro!"

"Looks like we're even now, Hiko." The older boy said grimly. Then he turned around to face the other guard.

The leader was apoplectic with rage. "Why are two kids giving us this much trouble? Kill them!"

"I'll show you what a kid can do, you Imperialist scum!" Kojiro said viciously. He turned to Hiko one last time. "Run away, Hiko." He pleaded.

"You're pretty fast, and you've got a lot of stamina. They won't be able to catch you in their armor."

"NO!" Hiko yelled. "Don't, Kojiro!"

Kojiro smiled sadly. "Take care of yourself, Hiko. I won't be able to watch your back anymore." Then he turned around, and the next moment he was pierced by several swords. Hiko watched in horror as the guards hacked away at his body even as he lay on the ground.

Finally, the leader looked up at Hiko with a satisfied smile. "Finally. Let's finish with you."

As he approached, Hiko thought of running, but he could not bring himself to abandon his dead friend's side. The leader raised his bloodied sword high above him, his eyes glinting maliciously. Hiko closed his eyes and braced himself for the killing blow.

But it never came.

"AAAAAHHH!"

Hiko opened his eyes to see a severed hand lying at his feet, still clutching its sword. He looked up in surprise. A white-cloaked figure stood between him and the guard. It appeared to be a man of average height and build.

"You bastard!" The guard leader cried, cradling his bloody stump. "You'll pay for that! Who do you think you are? This land is ruled by our Royal Leader. guards from other prefectures have no right to interfere."

"I am no guard." The man replied, in a voice that was gentle, yet stern. He calmly sheathed his sword, ignoring his peril and the drawn blades of his opponents.

The leader sneered. "A wanderer then. I suppose these commoners hired you to help with their pathetic rebellion? You took your sweet time to show up, so they can't have paid you much."

The man shook his head. "I have no relation whatsoever to either side of this petty conflict. However," here his voice rose. "I cannot tolerate needless bloodshed. You held an overwhelming advantage over these rebels, yet you showed them no mercy, even those that surrendered. And now you wish to slaughter children?"

"Don't lecture us on ethics, vagabond!" The leader retorted. "Any man who dares defy a guard shall pay with his life. That is the Code of Warriors that is law throughout the Empire. You should know that well. Now step aside and we may just spare your life. Or do you intend to continue opposing us?" He drew his wakizashi with his left hand.

"Believe me when I say that I mean you no hostility whatsoever," the man replied, "But I will not allow you to harm this boy."

The leader's face contorted in rage. "Then you shall die with him!" He lunged at the man with his wakizashi.

In a split second, the man crouched into an odd stance that Hiko did not recognize, and it was over before he could blink. He did not even see the man drawing his sword; all he saw was an arc of reflected moonlight as his blade sliced through armor, flesh and bone. Blood splattered everywhere as the guard's dismembered body crashed to the ground. His companions looked on in shock.

"Mikado-sama is dead!"

"He killed the captain!"

"Get him!"

Hiko heard the angry murmur of the guard as they moved forward to avenge their leader.

What he saw in the following moments would be burned into his memory for the rest of his life. With perfect speed, the cloaked man moved through the ranks of the guard, cutting them down with deadly swiftness. Hiko shrank back against the tree in fear and shock. He was no stranger to death; having spent a year among the rebels, killing and watching people kill. But he had never seen anyone kill with such ease before. A sick feeling rose in his stomach.

"Who the hell are you?!" A guard yelled in desperation, as he faced the man with his two remaining companions.

"Who am I?" The man paused briefly. "Since I am about to end your life, the least I could do for you is to give you the respect of knowing my name. I am Hitoken-" He parried the first man's strike and slashed open his stomach, "Riano-" he decapitated the second, "the Twelfth." he finished, grabbing the last guard and spearing him through the chest. "Carry that knowledge with you into the afterlife, so that you will know how to address me when we meet again."

When the last of his opponents had fallen to the ground, Riano wiped the blood from his sword and peered upwards at the crescent moon.

"These are dark times." he mused sadly. "Even the moon appears to look down mockingly on this diseased world. And yet," he looked around at the glittering stars, "when so much beauty surrounds us, even amidst this bloodshed, a man cannot wholly lose hope." Then he turned around, and Hiko saw his face for the first time.

He had black hair, knotted at the top, with long side locks that reached his shoulders. He was not old; his face bore the features of a man in his prime, yet his expression and demeanor conveyed a sense of great maturity, as if he were aged beyond his years by his cares. Most striking of all were his eyes. As he peered kindly at Hiko through his half-rimmed glasses, Hiko perceived that many memories lay behind those deep brown circles, which were filled with sadness and pity. Hiko noted that underneath his cloak, he wore a gi and hakama that looked like an odd cross between a guard's robe and a Buddhist priest's garb.

"Are you hurt?" He asked gently.

Hiko shook his head. Not physically.

He moved closer, and Hiko felt himself pressing his back against the tree.

"I cannot say that you have nothing to fear from me," the man said, "But can I assure you that I will not harm you any more than I have through my actions."

Slowly, Hiko allowed himself to relax. Riano gazed at him searchingly. "What are you doing here? A battlefield is no place for a child."

"I'm not a child!" Hiko replied indignantly, overcoming his fear. "I'm fourteen years old."

Riano continued giving him his searching gaze. "No, you are not. You merely look fourteen. You are mature beyond your years, but you are still an adolescent."

Hiko blinked in surprise. How had the man seen through his lie? Because of his size, he had always succeeded in fooling people about his age.

"Either way," Riano continued, "one so young should not have to bear arms. What would your parents think?"

"I don't know." Hiko muttered grimly. "They're dead."

Riano widened his eyes slightly, his only sign of surprise. "Dead?"

Hiko turned away from his gaze. "My parents were sculptors. We weren't rich, but we never had to go hungry either. Our village was better off than most. Until," his voice rose, "until the area Royal interfered. It was a year ago. He wanted to raise our taxes because he and his guard weren't getting enough revenue to live as lavishly as they wanted."

"That would be illegal." Riano observed. In the Empire, taxes on the peasantry were imposed at fixed rates that did not account for factors like inflation. This had been the subject of many disputes between poorer guard landowners and their well-to-do peasant subjects.

"It was." Hiko agreed. "And the village resisted. We threatened to inform the Emperor. The Royal didn't like it. Then one night," here his voice choked, "when we were sleeping, the guards raided the village." He looked up at Hiko. "They pillaged and burnt everything. Most of us were killed. My house was burnt down with my parents inside." Tears streamed down his face.

There was a shocked silence, then he continued. "A few of us survived by fleeing into the forest. We started a rebellion to oppose the guard. We had the sympathy of the other villages, and before long we'd built up a small army." His eyes smoldered. "I joined it because I had nowhere else to go. And because I wanted to make the guard pay for what they did. I've always been big for my age, so they let me tag along. We had neither the manpower nor the weaponry to fight the guard head on, so we attacked from the shadows. And that's how we've been living. Until now...." He trailed off.

Riano remained silent. He shook his head. "We live in afflicted times." he lamented. "The smell of blood is all too common, now and ever. Perhaps that is how it will always remain. There is no cure for this disease that plagues our race. Even so," Hiko looked up. "The answer does not lie in avenging yourself with more bloodshed. Violence only begets more violence. The cycle of revenge and murder is an endless one."

"The Imperialists killed my parents!" Hiko yelled angrily. "I had to avenge them!"

"Would your parents have wanted you to avenge them?" Riano asked quietly. "The dead do not desire revenge, only happiness for the living."

"Shut up! You know nothing! You'll never understand how I feel." The boy's tear-streaked face contorted in anger.

"I do understand." Said Riano, and for a brief moment, Hiko saw loss and regret flickering in his eyes. Nevertheless he wrenched the katana from the dismembered arm at his feet and pointed it towards Riano. "Stay away from me!"

"Calm down, boy." Riano said gently, trying to pacify him. "I did not mean to hurt-"

"So what I'm doing is wrong? So all their lives were in vain? You're no different from the guards! You're a murderer too!" Consumed by loss and anger, Hiko swung the sword wildly. Then he tripped on a tree root, lost his balance and fell. Everything went black.

Hiko did not know how long he had been sleeping when he finally opened his eyes. He remembered dreaming about fire and blood and gleaming swords. He suppressed a shudder, and pulled himself to his feet with a yawn. Then he saw the burnt ruins and the corpses and the dried blood. And he remembered, with horror, that it hadn't been a dream. Why did I pass out?

"So you are awake. You haven't very slept long." He turned around to see a cloaked figure standing some distance away. Riano. "You had fainted earlier." He explained, seeing the confusion in Hiko's eyes . "It was probably from the shock. You've been unconscious for three hours."

At his feet was a man-sized pit. "What are you doing... sir?" He asked uneasily.

"You can already see the answer." Riano replied calmly. "I came too late to prevent their deaths, so the least I could is to lay them to rest." He looked at Hiko. "Will you help me?"

Hiko thought of his comrades and of Kojiro, killed like animals and left to rot on the grass. "Yes."

"Thank you." Riano handed him a shovel and pointed him to a nearby grave, beside which a man's body had been laid. "You may begin with that one."

Hiko stared at the body. It belonged to the guard leader. He turned to Riano in anger and shock. "This is one of the guards!" he exclaimed disbelievingly.

"I know." Riano responded, as if he had anticipated Hiko's reaction.

"He's a murderer! He destroyed my village! He killed my friends! He doesn't deserve to be buried!"

Riano looked at him. "He may indeed have been a cruel man who oppressed and killed peasants mercilessly," he said, "but he was also a brave guard who faithfully served his lord and performed his duties. And he, too, had friends and family whom he loved, and who will mourn him now that he is gone." he added in a sad tone. "Ultimately, whatever we do in life, we are all human beings, first and foremost. A life is a life, whether it belongs to a murderer or a saint. And it must at least be given the respect of a proper burial. In any case," He looked at Hiko sternly. "When he was alive, this man may have been a murderer, but now he is nothing more than a corpse. Hating him now will not bring your friends and family back, nor will it bring you any happiness."

Hiko remained silent, contemplating Riano's words. After a few minutes, he wordlessly pushed the man's body into the grave and began filling it with his shovel.

By the time they finished, dawn had arrived and the morning sun rose, bathing the bloodstained grass in an amber light. Hiko and Riano stood over the graves amidst the burnt remains of the campsite. Riano chanted two funeral prayers, a Buddhist one for the guard and a Shinto prayer for the peasants. "May you find peace in the afterlife." he finished. Then he spotted Hiko placing a small object on one of the graves.

"What is that stone for?" Hiko heard Riano approaching behind him. He stared below at the slab of rock on which Kojiro's name was carved.

Hiko closed his eyes in memory. "He was the only real friend I've ever had." he said quietly. "I've never been good at getting along with other people. He protected me from bullies when we were younger, and we were always together after that. When I joined the rebels he came with me, even though he still had a mother left. And he saved my life a few times even after that. I have some skill with carving on stone. I thought I'd at least mark his grave..." Neither of them spoke for a little while.

"What will you now?" Riano asked finally. "The rebellion has been crushed."

"I don't know." Hiko conceded. "I can still fight... there are other rebel groups in the country. But what difference would it make? They can't win against the imperialists, can they? They're outnumbered and ill-equipped... but what can I do on my own?"

Then he looked at Hiko. "But you're different. You're strong. Stronger than any guard I've ever seen. Why don't you rise up against the Empire? If someone like you joined one of the rebelling prefectures, it would make a real difference."

Riano merely smiled. "That is precisely why I can never take sides in any political conflict. Any side that I join would inevitably be the victor."

"But that would be a good thing!" Hiko yelled. "You could bring down the Empire! You could create a new era for the people!"

Riano shook his head. "A long time ago," he said, "when I was young, I thought like you did. I believed that by serving a just cause, my sword could end conflict and build an era of peace and happiness. But I was wrong. When all is said and done a sword is a tool of destruction, not salvation. A swordsman cannot build a new era by shedding blood. All he can do is to protect the people he sees before him, one-by-one." He gave Hiko a slight smile. "That is why I wander the country as a nomad, so that in my own small way, I can help mend the world's hurts."

He smiled gently. "And I do so as a free sword; one that serves no cause other than that of justice. For a sword that is bound to a lord or ideal, no matter how noble, can never truly serve to protect people from oppression. That is something I learned from bitter experience." He absent-mindedly ran a hand over the hilt of his katana, and for the first time Hiko noticed that he carried two swords. Had he been a guard once?

He looked down at Hiko. "You probably already know this, but not far to the north there is a path that leads to the nearest village. A stout boy such as yourself should have no trouble finding work there. Go there and keep yourself away from war and conflict. If you wish to honor your family and your comrades, you should live on and cherish their memory instead of throwing your life away in vain. " He turned to leave.

"Wait!"

Riano turned around to see the boy standing firm, his dark eyes glaring at Riano unwaveringly.

"Take me with you." he said, "If only a free sword can save people from suffering, then I'll be a free sword too. Take me with you and teach me your kenjutsu."

Riano raised an eyebrow. "You're too young."

"I'm old enough to have killed people."

"With a bow, not a sword."

"I can learn. I'm stronger than I look, and I've always been a good learner."

Riano simply shook his head. "Out of the question." he said plainly.

Hiko intensified his glare. "Then I'll keep following you till you agree. I'm pretty fast, and I don't tire easily."

Riano narrowed his eyes, his only visible sign of anger. "You do not know what it is you ask for, boy. A free sword fights only for justice. He does not kill for personal satisfaction. He does not seek fame and glory, or wealth, or power, or companionship or even remembrance. You will lead a life of loneliness and poverty and constant danger, haunted by remorse and the scorn of others."

"Suits me just fine." Hiko replied firmly. "I don't give a shit about money and power. And I've never really cared what other people think of me. All I want is the strength to protect innocent people from the scum who make life difficult for them. guard, bandits, yakuza, it doesn't matter."

For a while, they remained there, Riano gazing at him contemplatively. "What is your name?" He asked finally.

"Hiko."

"Hiko." Riano repeated. He smiled slightly. "That is a good name. It suits you." He stepped forward, and with a sigh, placed a hand on his shoulder. "Very well, Hiko. From today, you shall be my apprentice."

Rawr.

RianoDate: Friday, 2010-07-30, 6:13 PM | Message # 2
Less of a Noob
Group: Administrators
I wrote this amazing story... and posted it when no one is around to appreciate it. Woe is me XD

Rawr.

• Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024